Ironhouse Sanitary District GM Talks Proposed Rate Increases, Bio Solids and More
Jun 9th, 2020 by Contra Costa Today
On this episode, I chat with Chad Davison, the General Manager for the Ironhouse Sanitary District who serves ratepayers in both the City of Oakley and Bethel Island. We get into the proposed 9% rate increase (Prop 218) where Davison explains the purpose and the process. We get into bio solids on Jersey Island.
- 01:18 – Bio on Chad Davison
- 03:08 – Why Davison came to Ironhouse Sanitary District
- 06:49 – Prop 218 notice on rate increases and reasoning behind it.
- 10:32 – Davison explains the 9% rate increase.
- 12:50 – Davison clarifies the rate structure which is 9%, but further broke down rates by fair share.
- 17:20 – where does the Ironhouse Sanitary District service begin and end with a home. He also explains they have to have a legally defendable rate policy.
- 20:02 – June 16 Public Hearing, what is the publics role and process?
- 23:30 – Davison explains wipes down the toilet are a no-no and the impacts.
- 26:25 – Ironhouse is preparing for a major upgrade project in the older neighborhood of Oakley (downtown).
- 29:13 – Recycled water pump turns on soon.
- 32:04 – Davison explains the myths on these hookup fees for the District.
- 37:40 – ISD rates are hidden in property tax and people won’t see it unless they look at Tax Rate Area (TRA). Davison explains options board had for 19% increase for next 5-years vs. 25% increase.
- 41:04 – We get into “poop island” (bio-solids). Davison explains what it actually is and its benefits.
- 46:56 – What has been the impact COVID-19 has had on Ironhouse