#72: Seana Fippin Talks Brentwood Strong
May 12th, 2020 by Contra Costa Today
On this episode, I chat with Seana Fippin who was one of the creators of Brentwood Strong serving the residents of Brentwood with food delivery and assisting seniors. Fippin is also on the City of Brentwood Planning Commission, President Elect for the Brentwood Rotary Club and an owner of Red Box Business Solutions.
- 00:32 – Intro
- 01:25 – what is Brentwood Strong?
- 03:10 – What was the need in the Brentwood Community? Building Community Volunteers
- 05:50 – Fippin goes over some of the trial and error in the beginning.
- 08:05 – What was the vetting process for volunteers to ensure safety.
- 10:15 – Brentwood Strong is now an approved non-profit from the State.
- 11:28 – We get into the City of Brentwood providing $50k in funding for food services.
- 15:21 – On working with Meals on Wheels and Contra Costa Food Bank. Pairing volunteers with seniors.
- 17:30 – Possible expansion into Antioch and other cities.
- 19:00 – If we come out of COVID-19, seniors are still going to need help for a while. Goal is to support community for the long-term.
- 22:20 – Fippin explains the biggest challenge in setting up Brentwood Strong.
- 24:50 – People asked about wine and beer pickup and delivery. Someone asked for them to teach them how to ride a bike again. We get to local wine and beer.
- 27:00 – Fippin shares her biggest surprise with Brentwood Strong.
- 30:20 – We get into human connections and how important it is during COVID-19 and keeping people well in terms of mental health.
- 32:40 – on Brentwood Strong raising awareness on the need for food service programs and assistance. Fippin provides some advice in how to start something similar in their community.
- 35:20 – How can people contribute or help the cause? They also have another food distribution within the next few weeks.
- 39:11 – Fippin highlights of Brentwood Community Chest was a huge inspiration for Brentwood Strong while Shirasoni in Brentwood is contributing meals to seniors.
For information on Brentwood Strong, visit: www.brentwoodstrong.com